About Tokio Marine:
Tokio Marine has been conducting business in the U.S. market for over a century and we are licensed to write all lines in 50 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. We provide unique insurance and risk management tools from our experienced staff of account executives, underwriters and loss prevention engineers and fair and timely claim settlement from a skilled team of claim professionals. We work with major brokers and leading independent insurance agents throughout the United States to serve the world's largest and most distinguished organizations.
We are committed to creating value for our customers by providing ANSHIN (safety, security and peace of mind). We strive to be creative and passionate as we work towards our long-term success.
Tokio Marine Holdings is Japan's oldest, and one of the largest property and casualty insurers. Founded in 1879, TMNF operates worldwide in 38 countries. With annual revenues of approximately $18 billion and an A.M. Best rating of A++, one of the highest in the industry, we are one of the top 20 insurance providers worldwide.
In this role, you will handle coverage claims, litigated commercial general liability, auto liability and some product liability claims that will be high exposure and complexity, within specific limits of authority. Your caseload may include claims for dedicated accounts. The job requires you be client focused, and develop strong partnerships that include communications and interactions with insureds, brokers and other internal business unit contacts to ensure smooth claims settlement, negotiations and resolutions. You will ensure that claims are handled in the most efficient and effective manner to deliver on Tokio's best practices and commitment to customer centricity.
Essential Job Functions:
- Handle litigated or complicated claims, including, but not limited to cases involving severe damage, coverage, sensitive issue, bad faith and declaratory relief action.
- Assist Supervisors and/or Assistant Manager in training and developing technical staff, scheduling and presenting seminars on important claims technical issues.
- Analyze and resolve coverage problems and issues. Recommend changes in policy language if/when necessary.
- Write Denial or Reservation of Rights letters when appropriate or necessary.
- Initially establish and maintain proper loss reserves and negotiate loss settlements.
- Conduct in-house investigation, by recording statements, ordering police reports, securing medical reports, reviewing repair estimates, etc.
- Attend necessary meetings or appearances on assigned claims as directed or approved by Supervisor.
- Maintain control of outside vendors/attorneys and their expenses by directing assignments and limiting their scope so as to maximize cost efficiency while minimizing delays in claim handling. Such vendors/attorney must not be used unless pre-approved by the department manager.
- Adhere to provisions of Litigation Management Program and cost containment principles.
- Maintain compliance with Fair Claims Practices Act or rules and internal instructions.
- Keep supervisor, reinsurer and excess insurer informed regarding significant developments in claims. Prepare required reports and other notices in a timely manner.
- Answer correspondence and inquiries promptly from brokers/agents, insureds, claimants, attorneys, outside vendors, TMM employees, etc.
- Be familiar with and comply with all applicable provisions of Tokio Marine's Employee Handbook.
- Responsible for complying with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at Company.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Perform special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- College Degree preferred
- Ten years of experience with Liability claims required
- Extensive knowledge of general liability, product liability, and umbrella policy coverages
- Knowledge of tort law, legal terms, and current Case Law
- Knowledge of basic reinsurance and codings related to technical matters
- Ability to negotiate settlement of claims in timely and reasonable fashion by using structured settlement when appropriate
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Tokio Marine Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, or sexual orientation.